AIA Hong Kong today announced the launch of “Cancer Guardian” series, with two cancer reimbursement medical plans, namely, “Cancer Guardian Plus” and “Cancer Guardian”. With premium as low as a few Hong Kong dollars per day*, customers can enjoy a full range of protection benefits for the treatment of cancer, including cancer diagnostic tests, cancer treatment, reconstructive surgery and post-treatment monitoring. The “Cancer Guardian” series covers all stages of cancer (including carcinoma-insitu) and complications of cancer. The plan will reimburse cancer treatment expenses incurred from hospitalisation (in semi-private room level) or outpatient care. The limit Per Covered Cancer is up to HK$1 million, while lifetime cancer protection is HK$3 million. In addition, “Cancer Guardian Plus” is unique for its market-first “Target Protection Benefit”. If a customer is diagnosed with any Covered Cancer classified as stage four or a target cancer, the limit Per Covered Cancer is increased by an additional 50%.
Cancer is the No.1 killer in Hong Kong. Figures reveal that one in four men and one in five women in Hong Kong are at risk of contracting cancer before the age of 751 . Over the last decade, close to 40% of cancer patients were aged 60 and below2 , indicating the alarming trend that more people are contracting cancer at a younger age.
Mr. Jacky Chan, Chief Executive Officer of AIA Hong Kong and Macau, said, “Treatment costs for cancer are extremely high and the road to recovery is considerably long, presenting a long-term and heavy financial and psychological burden on cancer patients and their families. As the real partner of our customers throughout their journey of life, AIA fully understands their concerns and needs. We are launching the new ‘Cancer Guardian’ series with the aim of providing all-round and comprehensive coverage to care for cancer patients with benefits also applicable to their family members. The new series furthers AIA’s commitment to walk handin-hand with our customers and their loved ones as they navigate through the difficulties in life. It also delivers on our brand promise as ‘The Real Life Company’ by offering customers additional peace of mind.”
Key features of the new “Cancer Guardian” series include:
- Reimbursement of medical expenses related to cancer treatment at an affordable premium － Enjoy Lifetime Cancer Limit up to HK$3 million (the limit Per Covered Cancer is HK$1 million) with premium as low as a few Hong Kong dollars per day* with guaranteed lifetime renewal3 ;
- First-in-market Target Protection Benefit4 － In the unfortunate event that a customer is diagnosed with any Covered Cancer classified as stage four or a target cancer (liver, brain, blood cancer or lymphoma) after purchasing “Cancer Guardian Plus”, the limit Per Covered Cancer will be increased by 50%5 (the limit Per Covered Cancer is increased from HK$1 million to HK$1.5 million);
- Complete treatment protection ranging from cancer diagnosis to post-treatment cancer monitoring － The plans fully reimburse all actual expenses ranging from the costs related to medically necessary diagnostic tests to determine a Covered Cancer, cancer treatment (including radiotherapy, chemotherapy, costly targeted therapy, etc.), reconstructive surgery on the head or breast, to the fees of cancer monitoring and consultation for up to 5 years after completion of active treatment;
- Coverage for all stages of cancer (including carcinoma-in-situ) and any complications of cancer;
- Full coverage for cancer treatment expenses incurred by hospitalisation (in semi-private room) or outpatient － The plans reimburse all medical expenses related to the inpatient6 or outpatient expenses incurred for consultation or treatment due to a Covered Cancer or any related complication.
- Additional caring benefits － The plans cover or subsidise customers for a variety of other treatment-related costs, such as actual expenses for psychological counselling for customers and members of their immediate family, subsidy the fee of travelling for treatment7 , daily hospital cash benefit for long-term hospitalisation and consultation with a registered Chinese medicine practitioner (including Chinese medicine).
Jason is a non-smoker, aged 40. Assuming he purchases “Cancer Guardian Plus” with an annual premium of HK$1,325 for the first year, the premium is less than HK$4 per day*. The limit Per Covered Cancer is up to HK$1 million, while the lifetime cancer protection is HK$3 million. If Jason is unfortunately diagnosed with colorectal cancer, the estimated total medical expenses would amount to approximately HK$0.73 million8 . He will be reimbursed for actual medical expenses including diagnostic benefit, cancer treatment benefit, medication and monitoring benefit. If Jason is diagnosed with lung cancer at the age of 484 and the cancer subsequently develops to stage four, the plan provides him with an extra 50% of cancer coverage (the limit Per Covered Cancer will be increased from HK$1 million to HK$1.5 million) to fully cover the estimated total medical expenses of approximately HK$1.23 million8
Customers whose applications for “Cancer Guardian” series / “Cancer Guardian Pearl” series9 will be eligible for a premium refund:
- From now till 28 February 2015, successful applicants will enjoy a two-month premium refund;
- From 1 March to 30 April 2015, successful applicants will enjoy a one-month premium refund.
For comprehensive coverage, customers may apply for designated AIA Hong Kong’s critical illness protection products including “Smart Care Pro”, “Multiple Care Pro 2”, “Executive Care Pro 2” or “Prime Care Pro” between now and 30 April 2015 and be eligible for a one-month premium refund.